Call for Artists
CALL FOR ARTISTS
The Española Valley Fiber Art Center is sponsoring the New Mexico Fiber Crawl on May 18 through May 20, 2018, at participating sites throughout northern New Mexico. This Call for Artists is for an invitational and juried show organized in collaboration with Tansey Contemporary, 652 Canyon Road, Santa Fe, NM. The exhibit will open at Tansey Contemporary on Friday, May 18, at 5:30 pm with a public reception. This opening will also be the kick-off party for the Fiber Crawl in Santa Fe.
The exhibit will run for four weeks. The exhibit will then be transported by Tansey Contemporary, at their cost, to their gallery in Denver, CO, and will open on Saturday, July 7, at noon.
The exhibit, titled Recall—Recapture—Remember, will showcase the best in fiber work from the region and will reflect the theme of memory.
“Memory fades, memory adjusts, memory conforms to what we think we remember.” —Joan Didion, Blue Night.
Does our past build us, or do we build our past? Things remembered can be as sharp as the current moment or so blurred that only a feeling remains. This exhibit embodies the essence of a recalled and recaptured past through the imperfect lens of memory.
The jury will be composed of representatives of Tansey Contemporary, EVFAC, and a nationally known artist or artists.
At least 50 percent of the work in the exhibit will be that of New Mexico artists. All decisions of the jury are final.
Fiber Artists from Arizona, Colorado, Kansas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, and Utah are eligible to submit their work.
- Work must be original fiber art created within the past three years.
- Work must not have been previously exhibited in Santa Fe or Denver.
- Work must be for sale.
- Work sold during the exhibit must remain on display until the exhibit closes in Denver on August 5, unless otherwise agreed upon with Tansey Contemporary.
- Complete the Submission Form and email it, with photos, to email@example.com by March 15, 2018.
- Submit a non-refundable entry fee of $25.00, payable to EVFAC via credit card (call 505-747-3577) or check (mail to EVFAC, Attn: Fiber Crawl 2018 Call for Artists, 325 Paseo de Oñate, Española, NM 87532).
- Submit as many as three works and up to three images of each work. Only one work, however, can be accepted. Tansey Contemporary has a limited amount of space. High resolution images (300dpi) are acceptable.
- Images in jpg or pdf format must to be labeled with the artist’s last name, title of work, and year of creation.
- Biographical sketch—200 words maximum.
- Artist’s statement concerning how the work responds to the theme—200 words maximum. The statement will be excerpted for exhibit purposes.
- Sale price (Tansey Contemporary’s commission is 50 percent of the sale price).
- Permission to reproduce work for publicity (a form will be sent with the acceptance notification).
The Jury will announce which works are accepted for the exhibit on March 30.
SHIPPING & INSURANCE
Tansey Contemporary will insure the work under its fine arts policy during the exhibits and during transport of the work from Santa Fe to Denver and back.
Artists are responsible for the cost of shipping to Tansey Contemporary. Work must be received on or before Wednesday April 18. Work may be hand-delivered Monday through Friday 10am-5pm. Shipments should be sent to:
Attn: Fiber Crawl 2018, Recall—Recapture—Remember
652 Canyon Rd.
Santa Fe, NM 87501
Work will be returned in the same manner delivered. Artists shipping work will pay for return shipping.
PACKING & PREPARATION
Work must be shipped in sturdy reusable crates, cartons, or containers and adequately protected against normal stresses encountered in transit. All crates, cartons, or containers must be clearly marked with the artist’s name and address. Work must be received in ready-to-exhibit condition. Multi-unit pieces must be submitted with detailed installation instructions. Wall pieces may not weigh more than 50 pounds.
Neither Tansey Contemporary nor EVFAC will be responsible for framing, mounting, or otherwise preparing work for the exhibition.
DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES March 15, 2018
NOTIFICATION OF ACCEPTACE March 30, 2018
DELIVERY OF WORK April 18, 2018
OPENING RECEPTION IN SANTA FE, NM May 18, 2018, 5:30- 8pm
OPENING RECEPTION IN DENVER, CO July 7, 2018, 12:00-2pm
EXHIBIT CLOSES August 5, 2018
WORK RETURNED TO THE ARTIST by September 15, 2018